Sunday, 1 May 2011

Code Review

I have found this project has encouraged me to become a lot more familiar with coding and processing. My final idea is a result of a lot of experimentation with some of the functions so I definitely feel more confident with the idea of transformation in processing. I found the mouseX and mouseY functions were the easiest and I came across some simple problems when using when, if and else functions. These were minor coding errors though which were easy to resolve with a bit of help. I chose the boolean function the best to use for my code because I understand it and can picture the way the sketch is going to turn out quite quickly. Using this function allowed me to divide up the sketch into a number of sections and add on/subtract the ellipses as the mouse moved across the screen.

This also made adding music a lot simpler because I was able to add it into the appropriate section by copying the co-ordinates that I used for the changing ellipses. I find that looking at a cluttered code confuses me so I had to keep adding breaks between the sections so that it wasn't too cluttered!
Initially, when I imported the music I had problems with the loop(); function since the sounds would begin to loop before they had finished. I got some help for this at the extra tutorial and Ben pointed out that the boolean in conjunction with the song.isPlaying() function solved it.

I went through the reference to trial some of the functions I hadn't seen before and chose the use the noCursor one - I liked how this enhanced the interactivity of the sketch because it created an uncertainty over where the cursor was at a any time.

Overall, I really enjoyed this project even though initially I thought it would be impossible! It has made me realize how much there is to learn in processing and how much you can do with code. At time is was definitely frustrating because of recurring errors which I couldn't source but in the end, having the ability to solve these problems made me a lot more confident in the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment