Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Developement

I have made some changes to my plan since the coding process began. I started by coding for the moving ellipses which I storyboarded in the last post. I used the mouseX, mouseY, if and else functions to create the movement so that one ellipse could be moved at a time (this involved dividing the sketch up into sections for using mouse and if functions). However, I found this create quite a narrow section for interactivity and unless the mouse was moving quite rapidly and over the entire page, quite often nothing would be happening.

While I was experimenting with different code functions to try and optimise movement, I came across the boolean(); function which I found really interesting and decided to explore. I liked the effect this gave as by being able to see only one ellipse at a time, the user would be unaware of what would appear as the mouse moved across the screen. I think this enhanced the interactive qualities, especially as the ellipses were not restrained to a line so can appear on any part of the screen. To make the sketch more interesting, I started added the ellipses onto one another and introducing new ones throughout the sections. Here are some still images from this process:


I also thought the building effect of the ellipses would allow for a more interesting range of sound. I am now planning on having a few different notes assigned to each of the shapes corresponding to the size and colour, maybe experimenting with major and minor arpeggios since they have a coherent aesthetic.


No comments:

Post a Comment