After getting feedback from the interim presentation, I made a couple of changes to my design. Firstly, the string of beads were removed from the sketch as they seemed to add unnecessary complexity to the design and drew the attention away from the contrasting stripes. Secondly, I found that when I coded the design, the ascending and descending pattern of black and white/colour stripes was too uniform and repetitive, therefore it was important to add some abstraction to the wallpaper to make it more intriguing.
I found that when I changed the horizon between the colours and black to random, it made the consecutive panels look too chaotic and there was a lack of organisation and smoothness. However, by flipping one of the stripes in each panel, the changes were subtle enough not to complicate the design and I think the overall effect was very positive. I like the simplicity of the design because the details get appreciated that way so I was glad that this simplicity was still evident after these changes as this look was what I was striving for during the design process.
Below, I have posted a couple of sketches which i used as guidelines and inspiration on how to handle transparency.
I found that when I changed the horizon between the colours and black to random, it made the consecutive panels look too chaotic and there was a lack of organisation and smoothness. However, by flipping one of the stripes in each panel, the changes were subtle enough not to complicate the design and I think the overall effect was very positive. I like the simplicity of the design because the details get appreciated that way so I was glad that this simplicity was still evident after these changes as this look was what I was striving for during the design process.
Below, I have posted a couple of sketches which i used as guidelines and inspiration on how to handle transparency.
http://www.openprocessing.org/visuals/?visualID=6950
http://www.openprocessing.org/visuals/?visualID=3810
Based on these sketches, I decided to overlap transparent colours of similar tones as this looks the most appealing to me as the colours mesh together nicely. When translating this to my design it meant changing some colours slightly and balancing the RGB values between overlapping colours so that resulting colours came out well too. After looking at the first design above, I experimented with stroke colour and stroke weight a bit but I found the impact came across quite harsh on the wallpaper and I preferred it with no stroke - this way it seemed more delicate to me and I think this is important considering the scale that these wallpapers have been designed for.
I enjoyed working with transparency values on this project and I found then a lot easier than I expected! Due to the simplicity of the design, it gave me a lot of time to perfect the colours I used and get a balance and consistency between the shapes which I was glad about - I spent a lot of time changing the sizes of the rectangles and stripes but I like the way they turned out.
I did notice that the colours came out slightly different than they looked on the computer but this was to be expected and since I did a trial print over the weekend, I was able to adjust the colours accordingly before the final print on Monday.


No comments:
Post a Comment