Thursday, 10 March 2011

Getting to the Final Design

I initially added the string of black and white beads going across the page in quite a straight line, but I found that this gave the impression of cutting the page in half which I didn't want to do. Instead, I chose to incorporate the symmetry of the same line but add some level and hierarchy to the design by having the beads in an ascending line which peaked half way through the set of panels and descended to the end. Here is the first sketch I did with the beads but decided against doing for my final design:


I also decided that there were too many shapes in this design which made it seem cluttered. As a result, I chose to focus on having a few symmetrical shapes. After sketching out a couple of ideas, I chose to include rectangles in the design, and presenting them as varying sized stripes. The ellipses are the beads, which will be black and white only and to stay in keeping with the idea of contrast within the design, I chose to have black and white above the beads and only use colour below them. This way the design is balanced, but there is a juxtaposition of the symmetry because the colours will be random. Here is a rough sketch of this idea:


No comments:

Post a Comment